Kickstart Your Year with a Sparkling Clean Space: Our Deep Cleaning Tips & Checklist
Are you ready to kickstart your year with a sparkling clean space? Look no further! In this article, we will share our top deep cleaning tips to help you achieve a fresh and organized home or workspace. Whether you're a neat freak or someone who needs a little extra motivation to tackle the mess, we've got you covered.
At WIM, we understand the importance of a clean and inviting environment. In fact, we’re kind of obsessed with it. That's why we're excited to share our expert tips and tricks to make your deep cleaning process as efficient and effective as possible. From decluttering to tackling tough stains, we'll guide you through every step of the way.
With our comprehensive cleaning checklist, you won't miss a spot. We'll also provide insights into eco-friendly cleaning solutions, helping you create a healthier and more sustainable living or working environment.
So, gather your cleaning supplies and get ready to transform your space. Let's dive in and make this year your cleanest one yet!
Table of Contents:
- The Importance of Deep Cleaning
- Plan and Prepare
- Deep Cleaning Checklist and Tips
- Before You Start
- Living Room
- Additional Areas
- After You Clean
- Maintaining a Clean Space Throughout the Year
1. The Importance of Deep Cleaning
Maintaining a clean space goes beyond just aesthetics. Deep cleaning plays a crucial role in creating a healthy and comfortable environment for you and your loved ones. It removes dirt, dust, allergens, and bacteria that can accumulate over time, leading to respiratory issues, allergies, and other health problems.
Moreover, deep cleaning helps extend the lifespan of your furniture, appliances, and other belongings by eliminating dirt and grime that can cause wear and tear. It also creates a sense of calm and tranquility, making your space more inviting and enjoyable.
So, don't underestimate the power of a thorough deep cleaning session. It's not just about tidying up; it's about creating a space that promotes well-being and productivity.
2. Plan and Prepare
Before you start your deep cleaning project, determine the specific goals and areas you want to address and think through the project systematically. To ensure a comprehensive deep cleaning session, it's helpful to have a checklist that covers all the essential tasks. It’s typically best to break down the cleaning tasks by rooms or areas, and we recommend checking each task off as you work around the house.
3. Deep Cleaning Checklist
BEFORE YOU START
- GATHER ALL NECESSARY CLEANING SUPPLIES and make sure you have what you need BEFORE you start working (cleaning agents, scrub brushes, washcloths, paper towels, gloves, duster, broom, mop, bucket, trash bag)
- CONSOLIDATE: Try to put all your essential supplies into a basket or a portable container that you can carry from room-to-room.
- DECLUTTER AND ORGANIZE. Remove any items that don’t belong and find a designated place for everything else.
- DUST ALL SURFACES including shelves, electronics, décor items, and blinds or curtains. Use a microfiber cloth or a duster to capture dust effectively. Don't forget to clean hard-to-reach areas like ceiling fans and air vents.
- WIPE DOWN AND DISINFECT electronics, remote controls, light switches, floorboards, and doorknobs with disposable disinfectant wipes.
- CLEAN FURNITURE: Use a vacuum or brush furniture to remove loose dirt or pet hair from the couches, chairs, and cushions. Next, clean upholstery with products that are appropriate for the fabric type. If you aren’t sure what is safe to use, check the furniture tag for more information.
- CLEAN THE FLOORS by vacuuming and/or steam cleaning, sweeping, or mopping. If you’re extra lucky, you may need to do a combination of all four. Pay close attention to the corners and edges of the room as these areas tend to accumulate dirt and dust.
- STAIN REMOVAL: If you come across stains on your carpets, we recommend using the Pro Resolve Stain Remover and Carpet Cleaner. This is a much more powerful and effective version than other typical household carpet cleaners.
- CLEAN WINDOWS AND WINDOW TREATMENTS. Use a glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth to clean the windows for a streak-free shine.
- DECLUTTER AND ORGANIZE any unnecessary items around the room. Remove any items you can from tables and countertops so that they are ready to be cleaned.
- COUNTERTOPS AND BACKSPLASHES: To clean and disinfect these surfaces, wipe them down using a nonabrasive cleaner, a multi-purpose cleaner, or a mixture of baking soda and water.
- CLEAN THE SINK with a disinfectant cleaner and a scrub brush to remove any food residue or soap scum.
- CABINETS AND DRAWERS should be emptied.
- REFRIGERATOR: Start with the refrigerator by removing all the food and shelving. Wipe down the interior with a mixture of warm water and mild detergent. Don’t forget to clean the coils at the back of the refrigerator to improve its efficiency.
- OVEN AND STOVETOP: Use an oven cleaner to remove stubborn stains and grease buildup.
- MICROWAVE: place a microwave-safe bowl filled with water and a few slices of lemon inside. Heat it for 2 minutes, then wipe away the loosened food particles with a clean cloth.
- FLOORS: Sweep or vacuum the area first to remove any loose dirt, and then mop with a suitable floor cleaner.
- CLEAN WINDOWS with a glass cleaner and wipe down windowsills.
- DUST AND CLEAN light fixtures
- DECLUTTER: Remove any items from the countertops, shelves, and shower area. If you notice any reside while you are removing them, make sure to wipe these items down.
- TOILET: Use a toilet brush and a toilet cleaner to scrub the bowl thoroughly. Pat attention to the rim and under the seat while cleaning. For stubborn stains, you can use a pumice stone or a mixture of baking soda and vinegar. Remember to clean the outside of the toilet, including the tank and base.
- SINK AND COUNTERTOPS: Use a bathroom cleaning solution, disposable wipes, or a multi-purpose cleaner to wipe down all surfaces. If you have stains or a heavy buildup of soap scum (especially around the faucets and drains), use a scrub brush or an old toothbrush (that will never again be used for oral hygiene!) to remove it.
- MIRROR: Use a high-quality glass cleaner and paper towels to ensure a streak-free shine. When you are finished wiping down the mirror, wipe again with a dry towel, microfiber cloth, or even old newspapers for the ultimate sparkly shine. Trust us…it really works.
- SHOWER AND BATHTUB: Start by removing any soap scum or mineral deposits. Use a scrub brush and a bathroom cleaner to tackle tough stains. For the tiling grout, use a tiling-specific cleaner or mix baking soda and water into a paste, then apply it to the grout lines and scrub with a brush. Rinse well to remove any residue.
- DRAWERS AND CABINETS: Clean and sanitize handles. For the ultimate deep clean, remove items from the drawers and cabinets and then wipe down all surfaces inside.
- FLOOR: Start by sweeping or vacuuming to remove dirt and dust, then mop the floors with a suitable floor cleaner. Pay careful attention to the corners in the room.
- RUGS: Put the bathroom rugs in a laundry hamper or straight into the washing machine.
- TRASH CANS: These should be emptied and cleaned with a disinfecting spray, and then place a fresh new liner in the can.
- DUST and clean all surfaces, including light fixtures, blinds, curtains, nightstands and dressers
- CLOSET(S): Clean inside and outside of the closets, organizing and decluttering as necessary
- WASH BEDDING, including sheets, pillowcases, and comforters.
- ROTATE AND FLIP MATTRESSES
- CLEAN WINDOWS and windowsills
- DISINFECT FREQUENTLY TOUCHED ITEMS like remote controls, doorknobs, and light switches.
- ENTRYWAYS & HALLWAYS should be dusted and cleaned. Make sure to sanitize doorknobs, light switches, and light fixtures
- CLEAN LAUNDRY ROOM appliances and surfaces. Rinse dryer filter with warm, soapy water and dry thoroughly before putting it back in.
- VACUUM AND MOP all non-carpeted floors
- BASEMENT, ATTIC, GARAGE: Clean and organize storage spaces. For any of those paint, oil, or grease stains you thought were impossible to remove, we highly recommend using Crocodile Cloth Power Scrub wipes. Prepare to have your mind blown because this stuff is seriously amazing.
- CLEAN WALLS by removing dirt and smudges with a magic eraser
- AIR FILTERS: Replace with clean filters to improve efficiency and overall air quality. Dust and clean vents by placing them in a sink or bathtub with warm soapy water. Use a towel to dry before placing them back.
AFTER DEEP CLEANING
- FRESHEN UP YOUR SPACE by adding pleasant scents, such as scented candles or essential oil diffusers. Open windows to let in fresh air and natural light (remember that the sun is a powerful and FREE disinfectant!)
- DISPOSE OF TRASH properly
- LAUNDER CLEANING cloths and mops
- STORE CLEANING SUPPLIES appropriately
- RELAX AND ADMIRE YOUR HARD WORK!
4. Maintaining a Clean Space Throughout the Year
- SET A CLEANING SCHEDULE: Create a weekly or monthly cleaning schedule to ensure that you stay on top of your cleaning tasks. Assign specific tasks to specific days to make it more manageable.
- DECLUTTER REGULARLY: Regularly go through your belongings and declutter. Get rid of any items you no longer need or use. This will prevent clutter from building up and make it easier to clean and organize.
- DEVELOP CLEANING HABITS: Incorporate small cleaning habits into your daily routine. For example, wipe down kitchen surfaces after cooking, or tidy up the living room before going to bed. These small habits will help prevent dirt and mess from accumulating.
- USE THE RIGHT CLEANING PRODUCTS: Use cleaning products that are suitable for the surfaces you're cleaning. Avoid using harsh chemicals that can damage or discolor your furniture, countertops, or floors. Consider using eco-friendly cleaning products for a healthier and more sustainable cleaning routine.
- INVOLVE THE WHOLE FAMILY OR TEAM: Cleaning shouldn't be a one-person job. Involve your family members or colleagues in the cleaning process. Assign specific tasks to each person or make it a group activity. Not only will this lighten the workload, but it will also teach responsibility and teamwork.
A clean and organized space can have a significant impact on your overall well-being and productivity. By following our deep cleaning tips, you'll be able to kickstart your year with a sparkling clean space. From the kitchen to the bathroom, living room, and bedroom, we've covered all the essential areas of your home or workspace.
Remember, deep cleaning is not a one-time task but an ongoing process. By incorporating regular cleaning habits and maintenance routines, you'll be able to enjoy a clean and inviting environment throughout the year.
So, gather your cleaning supplies, follow our deep cleaning tips, shop online at WIM and make this year your cleanest one yet!